Dr. Barry C. West
Dr. West is a career technologist and business leader with over 30 years in the information technology field with an emphasis on Cybersecurity and Cloud Computing.
He is currently the Founder / CEO of West Wing Advisory Services, LLC. He recently retired in May 2018 as the Senior Advisor and Senior Accountable Official for Risk Management at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). This included spearheading the Cybersecurity Executive Order. Prior positions in the private sector have included being President of MicroTech, President of Mason Harriman Group and Executive Vice President of SE Solutions.
He has 28 years of government service to include being Chief Information Officer (CIO) at six different government organizations – Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC), Department of Commerce (DOC), Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) during hurricane Katrina and the National Weather Service (NWS). He also was briefly the Acting Deputy CIO at (DHS) prior to his retirement.
His government service also included time in the U.S. Air Force where he was selected as the top individual for his career field by winning the Weather Observer of the Year Award from among 2,000+ competitors.
He is the past President of two of the largest IT associations in the United States: American Council for Technology (ACT) and the Association for Federal Information Resources Management (AFFIRM). He was presented the AFFIRM President’s Award in Public Sector for 2017-2018.
He has represented the United States Government Information Technology community at four different world-wide gatherings of NATO countries.
Dr. West completed his Executive Doctorate degree in Business from Georgia State University with a focus on Cloud Computing in 2014. He was appointed in 2017 by Georgia State University to be their Executive-In-Residence. He has published in IEEE Computer Society, IT Professional journal and the European Journal of Information Systems (EJIS) journal article where his research focusing on cloud computing was selected for publication.
Dr. West received an Honorary Doctorate degree in Business from his alma mater Northern Michigan University in May 2015 where he also delivered the Commencement Speech for the Spring 2015 graduates.
He is also an Emeritus member of the Government Business Executive Forum (GBEF) and will be the co-chair for the Consumer Electronic Show (CES) Government 2020.
Purpose, Vision, and Values
It’s who we are
Learn more about who we are from the people who work here. In this video, employees from around the world discuss how our values help to shape their daily work lives and help them become better at what they do. Take a look and get to know the people behind our logo.
We believe in ethics, integrity and respect in the workplace – every day. And these aren’t just words. These principles guide how we treat our customers, partners and each other. We strive to:
- We act as stewards of the business
- We do what we promise, and meet our commitments
- We take charge and deliver our best work possible
- We encourage and accept new ideas
- We commit to a direction that benefits the business
- We adapt quickly and with enthusiasm
- We work together to achieve excellence
- We debate and then commit to an aligned direction
- We recognize individual contributions and celebrate team success
- We identify issues quickly and recommend solutions
- We are flexible, responsive, and available
- We deliver the right solution for the problem
- We are passionate about delivering customer value
- We create operational excellence through continuous improvements
- We maintain relevance to our customers by responding creatively to their changing needs
- We share information in an appropriate and timely manner
- We accept and give constructive feedback, even when it’s difficult
- We respect differing opinion